soup

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Dear Olive,
It's finally soup weather in Sydney! My gorgeous friend Ceinwen made us a sweet potato and corn soup when Clancy was born and it was so delicious that I got the recipe from her and made it yesterday. It came from one of the Moosewood cookbooks - if anyone is around my age and raised by vegetarian, hippy parents, they may remember Moosewood? The fonts and illustrations and everything about them are so nostalgic for me. One of the books is titled The Enchanted Broccoli Forest! (I'll be dusting off your Moosewood books and having a look next time I'm up there, Dad.)

Southwestern corn & sweet potato soup 
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 crushed garlic cloves (I used about 6)
1 small fresh chilli, chopped
3 cups stock (I used my chicken broth)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 medium sweet potato, diced (about 2 cups)
1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
3 cups corn kernels
salt & pepper to taste

a squeeze of lemon, a dollop of yoghurt, plus some coriander to serve


Basically, simmer it all up, puree half the mix, add the toppings and voila! A beautiful winter warmer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yummo - definitely trying this one! so lovely to have such thoughtful friends x

Dear Lola said...

Hi! Just made this for dinner. Oh it's so perfect for this chilly, windy night!! Thankyou for sharing.. feel free to share any other winners anytime :)

Nikki Fisher said...

This soup looks delicious Kellie. although it is a little too warm here in FNQ for soup at the moment! x

 

dear olive © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger